Dr. Philip L. Smith, a native Texan, is a Board Certified Therapeutic Optometrist who has been practicing Optometry for over eight years. He began practicing Therapeutic Optometry in San Antonio in 1991 after graduating from the University of Houston as a Doctor of Optometry. Dr. Smith attended Texas Tech University where he received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1973. Dr. Smith specializes in contact lenses and refractive surgery. He has undergone refractive surgery himself, and can therefore, relate well to the concerns of his patients. He brings a special personal touch to their treatment. Dr. Smith became a valuable member of the Braverman Eye Team in September 1998.
- Doctor of Optometry, University of Houston (1991)
- Bachelor of Science, Texas Tech University (1973)
- Beta Sigma Kappa Honor Society
- American Optometric Association
- Texas Optometric Association
- Bexar County Optometric Society
- Fellow American Academy of Optometry
- Texas Optometric
- Texas Therapeutic
- Braverman-Terry Eye Associates, (September 1998 – Present) Therapeutic optometrist. Pre and post-op care of cataract, retinal and Lasik patients, Fit a wide variety of contact lenses including RGP, Bifocal, Toric and other specialty lenses. Help over-see the optical and contact lens departments. Extensive evaluation of diabetic patients. Have helped Dr. Braverman to develop and market his Lasik program.
- Master Eye Associates, San Antonio, TX (1994 – September 1998) Full scope therapeutic optometry with heavy emphasis on contact lenses. Initially began as part-time working only weekends as a relief doctor. In May 1997, began full time plus running my private practice in Bandera. This is a very high volume practice with heavy emphasis on productivity. My ability to provide quality eye care in a time efficient manner improved significantly with this practice. The mall setting provides many unique challenges from a primary care stand-point with a wide variety of boty systemic and ocular diseases presenting themselves which must be managed or properly referred.
- Solo practitioner, Bandera, TX with a satellite clinic in Utopia, TX (April 1997 – December 1998) Pediatric, adult and geriatric vision care. Co-manage ocular manifestations of systemic diseases with a board certified family practice MD Contact lenses, marketing and practice management.
- South Texas Family Eye Center, TX (August 1993 – April 1997) MD/OD Multispeciality Ophthalmology Clinic Responsible for primary care of patient population with some therapeutics. Extensive experience in cataract and corneal transplantation pos-op care. Extensive experience fitting transplanted, disfigured and irregular corneas – especially Keratoconus – with contact lenses.
- Cataract and Lazer Institute (February 1992 – April 1993) MD/OD Multispeciality Ophthalmology Clinic Extensive experience with glaucoma co-management, surgical co-management of cataract and
- refractive surgery. Followed a lot of diabetic retinopathy. Practice provided secondary and tertiary care only.
- Advanced Eye Care (July 1991 – July 1993) Therapeutic optometrist. Heavy experience in contact lenses and contact lens related problems. Treated foreign bodies and red eyes. Also practiced part-time with Alan Baribeau MD.
- Kroger Eye Care Center (July 1991 – December 1991)